Thursday, October 27, 2011

Passport Procrastination




  As I mentioned in an earlier blog, I'm a procrastinator.  I've learned to accept this about myself, knowing that I'll meet the deadline in the end.  So with just nine days until I leave for Haiti, I headed into D.C. this morning to renew my passport.  For others (my mom, for example :) this might have been a stressful day, but I rather enjoyed myself.  Just see for yourself:


It started off with typical commuter traffic and rain, but I was entertained listening to a news report about a man who just received a prosthetic arm that contained a cell phone...Still trying to wrap my mind around that!





For once, I had no problem finding parking, and I even scored the early bird special! 





Walking into the passport agency, there were only 11 people before me in line.  Another dozen people followed me.  That made 24 people scheduled for 8:00 am appointments with only 3 clerks working.  Government math!  It turned into just a 40 minute wait....Compared to the local DMV, the wait time was nothing short of miraculous.  And it gave me some time to read more from my latest obsession:  The Hunger Games series!






Once my application was submitted, I found myself with more time on my hands than anticipated.  So to somewhat quote a famous saying, when in Washington, D.C. on a workday, do what the Washingtonians do:  walk around, shop and eat.  I did just that, minus the D.C. standard-issue power suit!


I walked over to H&M, a favorite since my days as a poor college student, to buy some work clothes for the build.





Along the way, I stopped to check out "Occupy D.C." at McPherson Square.  No celebrity sightings like in Central Park, though.








Randomly, I stumbled across an international horse show just a few blocks from the White House and watched the groomers at work for a while.






Nearby, I noticed the International Union of Bricklayers and Allied Craftworkers.  After having spent hours trying to master bricklaying and mortar flicking in Jordan and Thailand with HFH, I was tempted to try to join the union myself :)






That is, until I started noticing all the new food joints downtown.  I was tempted by the idea of a maple bacon pancake....






and was drawn in by the smell of real Canadian poutine (french fries smothered in gravy and cheese curds) at the Eat Wonky food truck.....





But eventually decided to take shelter from the rain at the Shake Shack.





Good decision.  Simply the best chocolate malt ever!!



My new passport should arrive on Monday.  Eight days left now...I guess it's time to start buying supplies :)

And it's not too late if you've procrastinated with making a donation to Habitat for Humanity Haiti....We only need $470 to reach the goal of raising $5000 to fully fund a house for a family in Haiti!!

No comments:

Post a Comment