Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Truly Thankful

     Happy Thanksgiving!  I feel like I'll be celebrating the holiday for a second time this month....In Haiti, everytime I looked around, I was reminded of what I'm thankful for:


I'm thankful for a house with four walls and a roof to keep me warm and dry.
near Port-au-Prince
 
    



I'm thankful for clean water for drinking and washing.


   


I'm thankful for having more than enough food.  Every day, I'm haunted by the memory of Maxeau, a future homeowner, who worked all day alongside us without eating, saving his lunch so his wife and 3 month old daughter would have something to eat at night.

our daily lunch at the worksite....more than many Haitians eat all day

   


I'm thankful for my job.  The unemployment rate in Haiti is over 60% (and estimated to be closer to 80%).

so many people on the streets in need of jobs




I'm thankful for the public santitation department in my town. 



 


I'm thankful for my health.  Nearly half a million cases of cholera were reported in Haiti in the past year.


  


I'm thankful for my car and how it makes my days easier.



    


I'm thankful for the amazing people in my life, especially the inspiring Haitians we met.

Maxeau and Tifat, two future HFH homeowners

    


And I'm thankful for a spunky little Haitian school girl who reminded me to start the day with a laugh and a smile no matter what the circumstances may be.




   

   





    

No comments:

Post a Comment